Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lenten Love Letter #1



It's Ash Wednesday. The count down to Easter has begun. That means it is time for my Lenten Love Letters.

During the forty days of preparation for Easter, some people give up a favorite food or activity. I've heard of several friends giving up social media this year.

When I was younger I gave up favorite snacks like Reeses Peanut Butter Cups or Pepsi. In middle school I sacrificed my sleep by getting up at 5:30 am to walk to St. Paul's Grade School where I played my guitar during morning Mass.

Today I chose to hold off on my morning stop at Starbucks for a Chai tea. In addition to giving something up, I prefer to take time each day to do something positive.

Several years ago I started a tradition of writing one encouraging letter or card per day during Lent. I ask God to bring a name to mind as I write. It is so much fun to watch God at work.

The recipient of Lenten Love Letter #1 is Sister Maura Percell - a retired nun living in a Mother House in the midwest. She is the sister to my Aunt Pat Devine. Sister Maura blessed me when my dad died in 1965 when she walked me down to the Woolworth store and bought me a porcelain tea set. So in giving up my tea today I remembered her gift to me in a time of great sorrow.

We recently reconnected and today's letter will hopefully lift her spirits as she recovers from a fall.

If you know someone who needs a note of encouragement, please leave a comment and I'll add them to my lenten love letter list and send them a card or letter.

I pray that God will bless you today for the next forty days.


God Bless Your Heart
Gigi

http://www.gigimurfitt.com/

No comments: