Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 89 Deliverance


The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations. 2 Peter 2:9

We all need a little help when it comes to temptation. It's just our nature to want what we should not have.

That thought came to me as I picked up the second warm and chewy chocolate chip cookie Steve had just pulled out of the oven. I've not been working out as consistently as I should and the last thing I need is more calories. But the smell was so tempting to my taste buds. I gave in.

We don't always have to give in. God has strengthened my resolve so many times when other temptations have entered my mind.

I open my heart to God with thanksgiving and praise. I study the Bible as my guidebook for life. I've also done some really good Bible studies and read helpful books related to temptation.

One such book was "Landmines in the Path of the Believer" by Dr. Charles Stanley. Here is a YouTube video explaining the landmines Dr. Stanley covers in this book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBrdF_pgDzI

If you have not read this book, I highly recommend it. It covers so many areas of our lives and Dr. Stanley's gentle approach helps me know the way I should go. He's not condemning or preachy. He's telling me the truth that will change my life for the better.

We often think about things like sex, drugs or alcohol as temptations. But Dr. Stanley reminds us of other land mines in our life that can destroy our family.

We just watched the Academy Award winning movie "Hurt Locker" about the military team who disarms land mine type bombs intended to kill and destroy anyone in their path. It is an intense movie and a good reminder of how destructive and sneaky the enemy can be.

Falling into temptation and the subsequent sin can be like those land mines in our life. Before we even realize they are there, they have lifelong effects on our lives and the people in our sphere of influence.

Consider this list of land mines from Dr. Stanley's book – slothfulness, discouragement, pride, jealousy, covetousness, insecurity, and fear. These things can destroy relationships and ruin families.

When Jesus taught us to pray, it was no accident that the Lord's Prayer helps us ask God to "lead us not into temptation and deliver us from evil".

Jesus himself was tempted by the enemy.

What was His disarming tool? The Word of God and The Holy Spirit who will warn us when a land mine is near.

So today I challenge you to take some time to read God's Word and know He will lead you from any temptation that comes your way.

If you want to borrow Dr. Stanley's book from me let me know. You'll find it very insightful for all that we deal with in our everyday lives.

Be strong in the Lord and deliverance will be yours.

God Bless Your Heart,

Gigi

http://www.gigimurfitt.com/

The idea for this blog post came from the March 30 devotional in the book penned in 1932 by two women who spent quiet time with God every day. They wrote out what came to their mind. A.J. Russell then took what they wrote and created this amazing 365 day devotional titled "God Calling". I highly recommend you purchase it on Amazon.com or at your local book store.

No comments: