Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 119 Disharmony


Ask, and it shall be given you, seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you. Luke 11:9


Lately it seems I've been asking God a lot of questions about my future. God makes the problems of life plain. It's most often the way I view them that causes disharmony.

His ways are so much higher than mine. God's kingdom is perfect. My ways are selfish and definitely far from perfect.

I've met so many people in my life who blame God when they don't see things happen the way they want or expect. I've been there myself. I've lived with my expectation rather than anticipation for what God has planned.

Most often things don't go my way because it's not what is best for me. God knows the bigger plan. He knows the beginning and the end. But I end up focusing only on what I can see and I live in disharmony.

For two years after our son Gabe was born with multiple birth defects and many puzzling diagnosis, my life was confusing and I lacked peace. Oh believe me, I wore the Devine smile and buried myself in work. On the outside it appeared there was harmony. That was far from the truth.

I wasn't turning it all over to the only one who had the answers. I was working in my own strength. I was trying with all my might to act like everything was hunky dory when deep inside I was one sad and confused woman.

Through a series of God given encounters with Bible believing and loving people, I realized that all of my self sufficiency was getting me nowhere. It's just like a mouse spinning and spinning on its wheel, going nowhere but working itself into a dizzy tizzy.

I am so thankful that I got off the crazy cycle and started seeking God instead of doing it on my own strength.
In obedience, honesty, discipline and love I found a never ending supply of power that brought harmony, joy and peace to my life.

So now when I feel disharmony creeping into my life, the first place I look is in the mirror. Just like I check my teeth for that dreaded piece of lettuce stuck to my snaggletooth, I check my heart for selfish things stuck there like disobedience, dishonesty and pride. I usually find one or more and I realize it's time for some brushing by the Holy Spirit through confession, prayer and study of God's Word.

The next place I look is the Bible where I always find an encouraging Word. It clears out the disharmony and soon I'm living in harmonious success. I've learned to stop and ask God for my needs. He is always faithful.

God Bless Your Heart,

Gigi

http://www.gigimurfitt.com/

The idea for this blog came from the April 29 devotion in the God Calling book edited by AJ Russell.

No comments: