Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 52 Nothing Can Hurt


Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:34

God wants us to take one step at a time. He gives us enough light for each step. No more. No less. His light is the same light that set the sun in place. It's just the right amout of light.

The only thing that casts a shadow on God's light is our own self effort and our worry and fears.

I watched worry and fear steal my Mom's calm toward the end of her life and cast a dark shadow on her future.

Today would be Mom's 89th birthday. She passed away in 2007 and I really miss her. This devotional reminded me of her.

Mom withstood many tests in her life.

She was paralyzed as a teenager. After a long road to recovery she walked with a painful limp but always wore a smile.

She was widowed at age forty-four and left to raise ten children. She did this with much grace.

All throughout her life she remained calm. She had a deep relationship with Jesus. She knew He would be there for her when she needed Him.

She remained calm and happy until dementia got the best of her. Then she worried about everything. And I mean EVERYTHING.

Each time I visited her she'd ask me twenty worried questions.

"Did you pay my bills? Will they kick me out of here? Are they mad at me because I'm so much work? Who is paying for this? Where is my house? Why am I here? Will you leave me? What if I can't sleep tonight? What if I fall?"

These questions went on and on. It was tiring to try to keep up with them. Worry had invaded Mom's life and sent her calm state packing.

Often I'd remind Mom of this Scripture where God tells us that we should not worry about what tomorrow will bring.

When we worry we lose our peace and calm.

If your calm has been broken, come away with Jesus. Find some alone time with Him. Spend time in Worship and prayer as you wait until the calm comes back to make you strong.

If you open yourself to worry and fear the enemy will find a weak spot in your armor to pierce with his fiery darts.

When we remain calm and happy God will move on our behalf. His power stands up against evil.

God will send His mighty forces to help you in your time of need. Don't let your worry impede their march.

Don't worry. Be Happy. Nothing will hurt you when God's power is your strength.

God Bless Your Heart,

Gigi
http://www.gigimurfitt.com/

The idea for this blog was taken from the February 21st devotional in God Calling which was written in 1932 but still applies to our lives today!

No comments: