Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 26 Keep Calm

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Proverbs 4:23

Lord, please calm my anxious heart. Stop all else until absolute calm comes.

This is a good word for me today. This season of transition is ruffling the feathers in my empty nest and I'm challenged. This devotional has reminded me that I can leave it all to God by getting calm in His presence. I hope you get a chance to read the whole devotional in the "God Calling" book.

I want to be an open vessel of God's power flowing to me and through me to others who need His blessing. I want to remain calm when storms come so that I can be used to be a channel of God's peace.

I'm reminded of a song I used to sing with Father Lowney at Saint Paul's Church. "Make Me a Channel of Your Peace" was one of the first songs I learned on the guitar.

(Actually, the first songs I ever played in public with my guitar were "One Tin Soldier" and "Last Kiss". I sang them at the school and city talent show. When I was asked to do an encore I only knew these two songs so I had to repeat them. American Idol would have loved to make a spectacle of me!)

Okay – back to the devotional.

The words to this song are a great reminder of what we can do when we keep calm and ask God to use us as an instrument of peace. I pray we will all bring peace in our work, in our family, in our marriage and in our friendships. So here are the words to live and love by.

I'd love to hear about what image this song conjured up for you…
 

Make me a channel

Make me a channel of your peace.
Where there is hatred let me bring your love.
Where there is injury, your pardon, Lord
And where there's doubt, true faith in you.

Chorus:
Oh, Master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love with all my soul.

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there's despair in life, let me bring hope
Where there is darkness, only light
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

Chorus:

Make me a channel of your peace
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
In giving to all men that we receive
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

Chorus:

Peace be with you.

God Bless Your Heart,

Gigi
http://www.gigimurfitt.com/

The idea for this blog post came from the book "God Calling" edited by A. J. Russell and published by Barbour publishing.

No comments: