Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 6 Sharp and Ready


"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

This journal was penned in England 1932 so the Bible translation used is the King James Version. I like the "thee" and "thou" and "needeth" forms of the word but I also wanted to see how this verse read in a few of a more modern translations.

The NIV says: "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."

So how do we present ourselves "sharp and ready" to do God's work? I believe the tools to sharpen us are the disciplines of reading the Bible, praying and obedience.

What dulls our ability to correctly handle the word of truth? Prayerlessness. It seems to be the word most heard in these troubling times. Why is it that one of the most effective tools God gives us is something we choose not to sharpen? I've committed to pray more with Steve as we transition into our empty nest that can sometimes be a bit prickly.

The work God has set before me is to pray and study my Bible. To train and discipline myself so that I'm sharp and ready to serve God and go where He asks me to. I'm committed to this discipline of prayer and study. The door will open. God continuously reminds me that I need not fear. He has cared for me. He has protected me. He has given me hope.

How is your prayer life? I challenge you to take your burden to God today in prayer. Gather with a friend or two and share one another's prayer requests. It will be a powerful sharp tool in the toolbox of life.

God Bless Your Heart!
Gigi Murfitt
http://www.gigimurfitt.com/

End note: I'm sending a shout out to my brother Bob Devine and my friend Dottie Moffitt today on their birthday. I pray blessings on you both!

This devotional idea was taken from page 16 of the "God Calling" book written in 1932 and published by Barbour Publishing in 1952.

No comments: