Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 27 Height of the Storm


Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths. Psalm 25:4

Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. John 6:68

Dear Lord, thanks for the reminder that in the height of the storm we can come to You. It was when the storm was at its worst that You spoke. Your word calmed the raging sea.

Lord, speak now to the storms attacking my friends who have sent me prayer requests. Calm the fear. Heal the body and the mind. Restore the turbulent relationship. Bring protection and provision. Speak Your Word and bring peace.

Remember how the disciples thought Jesus had forgotten them because he slept during the storm? They were wrong. He had not forgotten. He had waited for the height of the storm and then he responded.

Why? Perhaps it was then the disciples most realized their need for the joyful dependence on Him. Maybe they were trying on their own and totally forgot they had a Savior in their boat.

When I was in college I nearly drowned in the ocean at Mission Beach, San Diego, CA. I had just learned to body surf and the waves were strong. I was trying to make my way to the beach and I was quickly losing the battle. When the waves were the strongest I called out for help and my cousin Dan heard my desperate plea.

I'll never forget how grateful I was for his muscular arm around my neck as he pulled me to safety.

In the same way, I will never forget how the arms of Jesus rescued me from the raging waves of my selfish choices. In my desperation He heard my call.

I hope you realize that He isn't sleeping. He's waiting to hear your cry.

God Bless Your Heart,

Gigi Murfitt

http://www.gigimurfitt.com/

The idea for this blog post was taken from the January 27 devotional in "God Calling" edited by A.J. Russell and published by Barbour Publishing.

No comments: