Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day 30 The Soul At War


"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 1 Corinthians 10:13

This has been so true in my life. God has been faithful. He doesn't allow me to be tempted beyond what I can bear. He has always been faithful to speak to me but there have been times that the noise of the world made it difficult to hear His directions.

Oh sometimes I heard but chose to ignore it. It was during those times it felt like I was truly at war in my soul.

But God knows how much I can take. He has always pulled me back into His will. It's a matter of whether I want to turn to Him or not.

Over the years I have found that the more time I spend in the Bible and prayer, the more clearly I hear His warning when I'm headed off path. More often than not the Bible study I'm working through hits on an issue I need to hear about at that time in my life. This is when I feel His love and experience Joy and Peace.

It's so cool when that happens.

This devotional also recommends planning a retreat to spend quiet time apart from the distractions that steal my joy. It is on retreat that I get rested and refreshed – physically, mentally and spiritually. This allows me to carry on what God has called me to do. It calms the soul at war with the flesh.

My favorite place to retreat is at my sister Kathy's house. I enjoy fellowship with her and my brother-in-law Denny. I stay in the room downstairs with the big down comforter on a king size bed. There is a desk for me to do my Bible study and writing. At night we sit in the hot tub under the Montana star filled sky.

Oh yeah. And she always bakes me oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

I think I better go book a ticket.  I hope you'll find a place of retreat too.

God Bless Your Heart
Gigi
http://www.gigimurfitt.com/

The idea for this blog post was taken from the January 30 entry in the "God Calling" devotional edited by A. J. Russell and published by Barbour Publishing.

No comments: