Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 4 Journal the Journey – Do Not Plan

Today's verse is Matthew 11:28 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." This is one of my favorite verses. It is timely as I begin a new year.

Do not plan – what a funny idea at the beginning of a new year when everyone is setting New Year's resolutions. I've been plannings out my goals for the coming year. But I think God wants me to remember that His plan is so much better than any plan I might design. I think I'll check with Him before I finalize any of my plans.

I was thinking about my life the other day. It turned out different than I had planned. I went to college and earned a degree in Business Administration with emphasis in Accounting. I studied and passed the CPA exam. My plan was to head up the corporate ladder and remain on top as a "big wig" for a large firm. But God had a different plan. He changed my heart and rearranged my priorities.

Now I work part time and enjoy freedom from corporate hassles. The three-letter CPA (Certified Public Accountant) acronym that once followed my name on a business card now has a totally different meaning for me – Cherished, Precious and Adored. These three words might not add a few digits to my paycheck but I like them all the same.

My original plan also included having a large family. I thought I'd have at least five children. I loved growing up in a family of ten children. But God had a different plan and prepared the way for me to be the mother of two wonderful boys. This gives me more time to spend on the issues of our special needs son, Gabe. I also have more time to write as we transition to an empty nest.

God's plan has proven to be so much better because I have to admit that sometimes my plans become my burdens. Plans for better health, financial improvements, writing goals for books or newsletters all carry a burden to finish the goal I set. God is asking me to give my plan to Him one day at a time.

I'll ask the Holy Spirit on a daily basis about the plan for that day. I have a feeling that the best part of my plan is to spend more time with Him. And I know He will give me rest.

"Christ is the Great Burden Bearer. You cannot bear His load and He only expects you to carry a little day-share." (p14 God Calling)

I hope you will give God your plans today. God Bless Your Heart.


The idea for this blog post was taken from my journal entry in a wonderful book titled God Calling published by Barbour Publishing ©1950.

No comments: