Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 123 Self Dethroned


Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. Romans 6:6

I've officially dethroned myself as queen of my universe.

I threw my hand crafted bejeweled crown in the trash because I've learned that the selfish decisions I've made as queen of I CAN DO IT ON MY OWN only add to my struggles. I don't want to be queen any more.

The old self dies a slow death. Sometimes I give it CPR by feeding my selfish desires and the selfishness is revived.

But as I grab on to the new life of grace with Christ I live and breathe with joy in my heart even when I don't get my own way.

The life in Christ gives me grace so now I'm quick to forgive those who hurt me. I could never do that on my own. That's why the old self had to go.

The old self dwells on an injury and makes it bigger than God's power to heal.

Rather than focusing on how to forgive those who have wronged me, (which is impossible in my own strength) I keep my eyes on the only one who graces me with the ability and desire to let it go.

I feed the new self with prayer and study of God's Word and fellowship with amazing people. I starve out my old ways because once I kill those selfish thoughts and desires they have no power over me.

Dethrone yourself and let God rule and reign in your life. His power will help you do the impossible.

God Bless Your Heart,

Gigi
http://www.gigimurfitt.com/

The theme for this blog post came from the May 3 Devotional in God Calling by AJ Russell.

PS. I'm preparing for a writer's renewal conference this weekend. I hope to get my other blog posts typed in during breaks between workshops. I wonder if Julia from Julie and Julia ever fell behind on posting her blog? Probably not because I think she wrote them on the computer. I still like to write them by hand in my journal first. There is just something about having my pen in hand that keeps me in the "dark ages" of pen and paper.
How about you? Hand written or typed. Which works best for you?

No comments: