Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 147 Roots and Fruits


As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving. Colossians 2:6-7

Outside my front door I planted a garden of beautiful flowers. I love the surprise in the spring as each shoot makes its way skyward. Before I see the evidence of my planting, the seed or bulb has worked to ground itself deep in the soil.

I have one peach colored lily that towers toward the sky. It is nearly four feet tall. Over the last month it has been strengthening the root system that keeps its long and lanky stem from falling over in the wind. In the next few weeks the gorgeous flowers will bloom.

This particular lily has been in my yard for a few seasons. Its root system is well established. I planted some new bulbs this year and their above the ground growth is far behind this established plant. They are working to be rooted and grounded while tiny shoots have emerged. The deeper the root grows, the stronger the plant. I wait patiently.

Both the establishment of deep roots and the above ground growth are necessary for a strong and healthy plant to grow and bloom into spectacular color.

So it is with our faith. When we take time in prayer, reading the Word and fellowship with other believers we establish deep rooted faith. It does not wither when strong winds and storms push against it. The fruit of deep roots is healthy.

What are you doing to dig your roots deep? A few moments in the Bible each morning is a great start.

I am praying that you find time to dig deep.

God Bless your heart with deep roots and beautiful growth that changes lives.

Gigi

http://www.gigimurfitt.com/

The idea for this blog came from the May 27 devotional in God Calling by AJ Russell.

Thank you to all who send Birthday wishes to me today. A hug sent out to my Sister-in-Law Linda Murfitt Clemes who shares her birthday with me today. Happy Birthday Linda!

No comments: